Insta Love.

05 November 2011

Sleepless nights, no more! We hope....

Dear Sweet P,

Last Tuesday you had your six month appointment, yes I know, you are seven months.  Our doctor is apparently that booked. 

You are still little and not as fat as last time.  But unlike me, you are actually on the growth chart, I was... just barley.  Am I worried about it?  Not really.  Your dad is 6'2" and as we all know, the charts really don't say much except that yes, in fact, you are growing and thriving.  Only GOD knows the end result.  It's up to him whether you will be tall like the Maxell women or short like the Walker women, or some where inbetween.  Either way, you are the most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen.  I haven't seen a baby that can compare.  People stop and tell us all.the.time.  You are a gorgeous girl.  See, bald really is beautiful!  **Disclamer: What parent doesn't think their kids are the cutest!?  I mean, really!?  It just so happens that mine really are ;)

Anyway, dad and I were thinking of things to ask the doctor once you finally had your appointment, and what was at the top of our list!?  SLEEP!!!  Why are you getting up in the middle of the night?  WHY aren't you letting us sleep?  Why do I have to have permanent sleep bags under my eyes?  I'm so tired, I feel like I have a serious case of CRS, because I really can't remember S&^%. 

I was so excited that I called your daddy to make sure he remembered to ask.  I desperately want my sleep back.  I can't function anymore, or focus for that matter.  I was ready to check myself into a hotel and not tell ANYONE where I was for 24 hours.  Maybe leave a note saying, don't bother to call me.  I found myself a place to sleep and I want EVERYONE to leave me ALONE!!!  Yup, I'm that tired.  I don't think most people understand how tired I actually am.  See, I don't have daddy's help five nights a week and I get up at 4:15 in the morning.  So, when you and your brother don't feel like going to sleep by 8 o'clock at night, I get to suffer.  Yes, I do mean suffer.  It only gives me an hour to relax and do something for myself.  Needless to say, some nights I just don't get "me time, wind down time."  Then I get up and do it all over again.  I'm tired.

So, the doctor asks daddy "How long is Presley sleeping at night?" Daddy says "Oh, maybe 6 hours a stretch!"  What does your doctor say?  "She should be sleeping 8 to 10 hours a stretch!"  It was like music to my ears!  I can actually have my 8-10 hours back?  Sign me up!!  What do I do?  I'll give just about anything for more sleep!  Maybe even my left arm!  Who needs it anyway?!  Certainly not me if I can finally get some sleep! 

Of course this involves work, and maybe a few more sleepless nights.  There is no magic formula that makes you just sleep... unfortunately.  So, here was the deal.  We finally put you in your own room to sleep.  I have to admit, it was a little hard on me.  I had some separation anxiety, but for sleep, I set it aside.  Then, when you get up at 2 in the morning, we let you cry.  After five minutes, we go in and check your diaper.  If you are wet, we obviously change your dirty butt.  Then after another five minutes, if you haven't stopped crying, we go back and check on you and tuck you back in.  Just so you know we haven't abandoned you.  The first night, you slept through the night on your own!  Second night?  Not so well.  Daddy ended up bringing you in for a nursing.  Man, that was an exhausting day.  Last night?  I changed your diaper and you went back to sleep!  You woke up this morning and I had to literally RUN to your crib.  Why?  Not because you were still asleep, or because you were screaming your lungs out.  You were trying to CLIMB out of your crib.  You have only been in your crib for three nights, and I will have to lower it today so you don't fall out. 

Sweet P, you definitely keep us on our toes!  Every time we think we have you figured out, you change the rules.  As your doctor put it, you are certainly "ahead of the curve, inquisitive and busy.  And, very happy!"  Even if you don't let me sleep, I still love you!

xo,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here.